February 15th

Officers Present:

President Noah Butler, Vice President Mia Jones, Secretary/Treasurer Whitney McBride, Reporter Jessica Soto, Parliamentarian Brianne Borders

Representatives Present:
CSO/Food Relations – Crystal Adams,Media Arts – Amye Powers

President Noah Butler called the meeting to order.

All rose for the Pledge of Allegiance.

The Chair made a motion to suspend the order of conduct for Krystn Davis.

Mr.Naples seconded.

Krystn Davis proposed the idea for a “Recycling Day” on campus. This would be an annual monthly event involving the help of student volunteers and the SGA.  The drive would be open to the community to allow others the opportunity to donate their own materials to the collection bin. Davis wishes to set a specific date to hold the event annually each month.

The Chair calls for a discussion on the proposal.

Ms. Gullette expressed the Caddo Club’s interest in the event and their willingness to participate.
Krystn Davis answered a few questions concerning when the event should take place each month. It was decided that a group of volunteers should meet on Monday as a Committee to discuss the details.

The Chair closed the discussion.

The Chair made a proposal to call for a Committee. Mr.Naples seconded.

The Chair called for volunteers to join the Recycling Day Committee.

Several people volunteered and a Committee was formed. The Recycling Day Committee along with the Caddo Club will meet with Krystn Davis on Monday at 3 pm to discuss further details.

The Chair resumed the order of the meeting.

Secretary Whitney McBride read the previous meeting minutes. Noah Butler made a motion to accept the reading of the minutes. Brianne Borders seconded and all were in favor.

Reporter Jessica Soto read the calendar of events for the upcoming week.

The Chair recognized Diana Bonds to speak to the SGA about the S.A.L.T. (Save A Life Today) Suicide Prevention Organization.

Bonds brought up the important role suicide recognition has played in preventing suicides. S.A.L.T. wishes to raise awareness of suicides around Panola College.

The Chair called for a discussion.

Mr.Naples proposed the idea of a display in the Library through the Media Arts Club to help raise awareness on the issue.
Matt Sanford and Joshua Renfro volunteered to write an article in the Pony Express about the Suicide Prevention Organization.

The Chair called the discussion to a close.

The Chair recognized Steve Williams to discuss the possibility of a rise in tuition fees.

Steve Williams discussed the school’s financial position concerning recent changes in state Community College funding. Due to a decrease in state funding, Panola’s financial position is not what it used to be.  The school has experienced an 86% increase in student enrollment in the past 10 years, all the while, state funding for Community Colleges has decreased. State funding used to account for 66% of our school’s income and has now diminished to about 24% .  Along with the decrease in state funding, Panola took a cut from property tax funding which has decreased by 20%. The new tuition fees provide a solution to capitol in place of funding cuts.

Williams proposed the new tuition fee raises as follows:

$3 raise for in district students per semester credit hour.
$6 raise for out- of-district students per semester credit hour.
$8 raise for non-resident students per semester credit hour.

The Chair called for a discussion on the proposal of raising tuition fees by the previously stated conditions.

Don Clinton made a point of information to state that 70% of people in Texas who obtain higher education gain their degrees in Community Colleges. Community Colleges receive less funding than all other institutions in Texas.

Williams added that the funding received from tuition is used to pay the school bills as well as provide salaries for Panola staff .

The Chair closed the discussion.

The Chair recognized Don Clinton to discuss Panola’s Bond Election.
Don Clinton presented the details of a $35 million Bond Election.  In the past ten years Panola’s student enrollment has increased by 86%. The school wishes to update their facilities to better accommodate the students as Panola’s enrollment continues to increase. Several buildings on campus have numerous electrical problems and are not handicap accessible.  The bond would provide adequate funding for two new buildings: one for a new Health Science facility and the other for a new Student Life Center.  Many other improvements would be made through the bond as well.  The building project would be an estimated  5 year plan.  The Bond Election will be presented to the School Board on February 25th. If passed by the Board, the election will start in April.

The Chair called for a discussion.

Ms. Gullette , along with Mr.Williams, pointed out the benefits the future of Panola will reap should a bond be accepted. Clinton made a point of information to state that Panola hasn’t  had a bond since 1948. The Board meeting will be open to the public on February 25th at 7 pm.

The Chair closed the discussion.

The Chair made a proposal to accept the rise in tuition fees per credit hour for the 2013 -2014 school year.

All were in favor.

The Chair made a proposal to support the school’s Bond Election.

All were in favor.

Don Clinton expressed the need for a Committee to assist in voter registration.

Mr.Naples made a motion to push voter registration starting on February 26th.
All were in favor.

The Chair recognized Mr.Naples to discuss “Safety Week”.
The original plans for Safety Week have been changed due to several location issues. James Pearson has agreed to come to Panola on Saturday, March 2nd and conduct an 8 hour self defense course for free. There will be a sign up sheet for any students who are interested in taking this course. Only the first 50 students to sign up will get the opportunity to participate.

The Chair called for a discussion.

The course will be held in the ballroom from 8 am  to 5 pm.

The Chair closed the discussion.

The Chair made a motion to allow James Pearson to hold an 8 hour course on campus for Self Defense Day.

All were in favor.

The Chair recognized Mr.Naples to give an update on the 5k run event.
Several ideas have been proposed. The 5k Committee will meet soon and provide more updates in the next meeting.

Mr.Naples also discussed the ideas proposed for the Spring Fling.
If the SGA chooses to participate with a cornstarch run, 200 lbs of cornstarch can be purchased for $150. This is still within the budget.  Mr.Naples proposed the idea of conducting a voter registration table at the Spring Fling instead of the cornstarch run to recruit more votes for the bond election.
The Media Arts Club suggested that the SGA help with their “Panola Paintball Canvas”  activity for the Spring Fling.

Mr.Naples made a motion to table the discussion for a later time and focus on Voter Registration at the Spring Fling.

The Chair called for a discussion.
Ms.Gullette suggested the SGA set up Voter Registration in the Student Center at the Spring Fling.
The Chair closed the discussion.

The Chair made a motion to set up Voter Registration at the Spring Fling.
Don Clinton opposed.

Mr.Naples made a motion to adjourn. All were in favor.

Meeting Adjourned.

Share your thoughts ...

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s